Re: gtk-menu-popup-delay

2006/6/28, Hongli Lai <hongli plan99 net>:
Mark Howard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone explain why the gtk-menu-popup-delay property defaults to
> 255ms? I think this is one of the reasons at least that gnome appears
> to be so slow to many people. I've set it to default to 0 in my local
> jhbuild environment and the panel menus seem much more responsive.

Probably for usability reasons. If submenus appear immediately upon
mouseover, you'll lose the currently open submenu when you accidentally
moves your mouse outside the current submenu's space. MS Windows also
behaves similarily, though their delay is longer than GTK's. Yet people
complain more about GTK's speed than Windows's speed.

Also if you pop up the submenus instantly, it'll try to open/close all
the submenus when you click and move your mouse to the one you want.
This will have really ugly effects if you need to pull the mouse down
through the whole menu full of submenus (as panel menus usually are).

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi