Re: gdmgreeter CPU usage

> - Given the same parameters, does the function always return the same
> value?  I don't want to put in a cache prematurely, but this would be
> useful to know.

Pango already caches up to 16 fontsets, see
pango_fc_font_map_cache_fontset().

> - Can we get a little program that runs FcFontSort in a loop so that we
> can profile it?

FcFontSort calls qsort twice on the list of all fonts. Note that some KDE
people already did some investigation in FcFontSort behaviour. From
what I remember from Owens and Keith' discussions about FcFontSort,
its not going to be easy to optimize, unless we can figure out a way to
not do the full sorting (since we are likely to only be interested in the
first few fonts...).

Matthias