Re: gdmgreeter CPU usage

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 12:44 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 09:05 +0000, Padraig O'Briain wrote:
> > FcFontSort is called 12 times during gdmgreeter startup, with a total
> > cost of 205 ms of CPU.
> >
> > As this occurs during the boot phase I suspect that the elapsed time is
> > even longer.
> >
> > I have bootchart that show that gdmgreeter takes about 5 seconds to
> > startup when booting. About 860 ms of that is CPU time.
>
> Ah.  Now we are getting somewhere :)
>
> I haven't looked at the dtrace log you posted - I assume it has a
> breakdown of the user time for various parts of gdm?

No. The DTrace logs show the amount of CPU being used by particular
calls of specified functions.

I would like to run a Performance Analyzer on gdmgreeter but there is
some problem with the output I am getting; I hope to get this sorted out
soon and can then address these questions.

I have moved to GNOME 2.13 and have found that the CPU being used is now
over 1 second.

Padraig