Re: gdmgreeter CPU usage

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 16:51 +0000, Padraig O'Briain wrote:

> I am using pango 1.10.1 and am looking at the CPU being used by
> gdmgreeter.
>
> I have found that 25% of the CPU (about 200ms on my system) is used in 5
> calls to pango_layout_line_get_extents (called from
> gnome_canvas_text_set_property). Each call is associated with opening a
> TrueType font, two for Vera.ttf and three for VeraBd.ttf.
>
> Do the improvements you have made in pango 1.11.1 offer me hope that
> this will be speeded up?

Do you have stack traces of where those calls happen?  Do you know which
strings are inside the corresponding PangoLayouts?

Do you have something like a sysprof log?

I wonder if the time is being spent directly inside Pango, or in
fontconfig/Xft loading fonts.

See bug #319483; we spend quite a bit of time in FcFontSort() when using
a font description that hasn't been used before.

  Federico