Re: [orca-list] Our list will be moving to Discourse

I've heard about most of the improvements in Discourse in recent years, and did give specifically GNOME's Discourse a look, although I didn't try to post anything. I really like what I did see though, and am encouraged even more by the fact that the Discourse developers actively solicit input from screen reader users. I'm still slightly concerned about the finer points of contributing to a discussion via email, especially what seems like an almost all-or-nothing approach, but it seems that as long as I can track Orca specifically, and at least get the first message posted in any new topic related to it, then overall, the change looks like it will be good. I just dont' want to miss anything, unless I choose not to see it. The main thing is that many times I want to follow a topic but don't necessarily want to reply immediately. This is especially true as it relates to a question someone else may post that I don't know the answer to but want to see the answer as it is posted.

I think what I liked the most as I read a thread on GNOME's Discourse was the fact that I could see the whole thread, and could jump back and forth between the messages by heading. So if I read the first part of a message and wanted to skip on to the next, I didn't have to close the message and open the next one; simply pressing h took me where I wanted to go. And then if I wanted to reread something earlier, I could press H and get back just as easily. In the slightly modified words of an audio player I once used more than 20 years ago, that really whipped the email's @$$ LOL.

~Kyle