From: Jeffery Mewtamer <mewtamer gmail com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 17:23:44 +0000
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Screenreader Accessibility Testers for Ubuntu
To: list gnome org

Yeah, even if I had the money for paid software, as long as the
software vendors treat their legitimate customers like thieves to the
point that its easier to just use a cracked version than jump through
all the hoops, I'd rather just stick to their free competitors.

And honestly, there's a ton(perhaps literally if it was all put on
CD-Rom like a physical commercial release) of free software that's
just as good, if not better, than the software that costs hundreds or
thousands... and I consider it an ethical imperative to inform people
of said free alternatives whenever the subject is broached.

That said, at least Freedom Scientific is taking a step in the right
direction... $90 a year still sounds like highway robbery for
something your customers probably consider an everyday essential, but
it's much better than the $1200 they were charging the last time I
heard. Still, if I had that kind of money to spare, I'd sooner donate
it to Orca's development than entertain the idea of obtain a JAWS
license, and not just because I haven't personally run Windows since
the XP days.