Re: [orca-list] Should Orca present live regions on non-active tabs? (was Re: Orca reads contents of non-active tab)

I agree with Nolan. From a developer viewpoint I would not expect non-focussed tabs to read out live regions
to users. Users could easily be in a situation where many many tabs are open and there's no way to determine
which one is announcing stuff.

I have fewer expectations on whether a tab with a change in a live region would/should announce anything when
that tab regains focus, however (I believe Jamie mentioned something about queues, or the lack of them, in
NVDA for example). That sounds like something developers would test themselves, or ask AT-using users to test
for them. I don't believe the specs say anything either way. Developers have a hasFocus() DOM API call they
can use to check whether the user is focussed on their page, and some browsers pause any scripts running on
non-focussed tabs (Chrome/chromium stops the DuckDuckGo stopwatch for example). This means in theory
developers should expect they need to more manually manage live region changes and ensure they only happen
when their page has focus anyway.

cheers,
_mallory