Re: [orca-list] Accessibility broken under Wayland Fedora 31

Howdy List,

IMO QT5 is very accessible thanks to Frederik's work in that area. he is also very friendly and helps out where ever he can. He is employed at QT company what makes him able to fix some of the QT related a11y bugs in his work time. Thanks for this Frederik! I know that accessibility works on QT with Wayland. but i as i still use X i don't know the exact state here. as some functionality is missing in Wayland i assume most of the issues are the same.

Well, Plasma needs some work. But the situation is not as worse as most guys think. but there are some huge blocker issues.

to name some out of my mind:
- the default main menu does not set the focus properly. what makes orca not be able to react to focus change events. this could be worked around by use one of both alternative menues what are shipped by default (those work out for basic stuff quite well).
- no way to focus the tray
- WIFI list is not keyboard navigate able

Since Plasma 5.17 the functionality to control the mouse with keyboard was restored and works on Wayland.

i tracked down the complete list off issues i found in KDEs phabricator:
https://phabricator.kde.org/project/view/249/

there is also a very recent talk about unify keyboard navigation all over the desktop to improve keyboard handling.

my plan is to offer an a11y sprint for plasma as soon as i find time to organize it. i also hope for an GSoC student :).
lets see...

my job locks me currently a lot, after that period i try to force my work on that area again. IMO Plasma is a wonderful and hyper flexible alternative desktop. i use it exclusive since almost a year thanks to gnomes "lets remove everything useful" effort. (i say this as an 15 year hardcore gnome user...)
I also found an open minded and friendly community at KDE.

any help is welcome, i can guide what to do and for some parts also how to do. Most stuff is done in QT Quick. its very similar to java script and CSS. no recompile needed to see the results. very handy and easy.

cheers chrys