[orca-list] Issue with Thunderbird.

I seem to be having an issue with Thunderbird.
When I start it, Orca stops responding and goes silent. The only way to get speech to response again is to do ALT for and when I read the screen I get an error message that Thunderbird has failed too response and buttons to either wait or force quit.
Using force quit and restarting doesn't fix it.
I tried to use the kill all command from the Mate terminal to try and kill any processes from when this issue started but the commands I tried were not recognised like it asked for a command argument etc. I tried to do a restart with CTRL ALT delete but still no luck.
How do I resolve this?
I hope I don't have to do a complete restall of the operating system.