Re: [orca-list] Let keypad key as "normal" keys when used in combination ?

OK I'm not fully sure I understand the question either. For one thing, I neither use NVDA nor Jaws, and it's been a very long time since I have even used the Widnows operating system, so I am no longer familiar with their functionality, especially as it relates to Orca. Based on the proposed change in functionality however, I think I can take a stab at this. It sounds like the desired functionality is to be able to use the numeric keypad keys as arrows, page up, page down, delete, enter, etc possibly. If this is the proposal, then we have a couple of problems. First and foremost, the numeric keypad is already being used for flat review and mouse emulation, so any other functionality of these keys would take away flat review and mouse emulation completely. Changing the flat review and mouse emulation keybindings so that they require the Orca key would also cause problems, as many of those keys are already bound to other functions. And now the other problem. It seems that we already use the keypad 0 insert key and the other insert key in the same way by default as the Orca key. This does in fact take away the functionality of the insert key that is not on the numeric keypad, as using this key as an Orca key prevents us from using the same key as an insert/overwrite toggle in text editors and fields. This is one of the first things I turn off in my Orca preferences, as I want to have access to that functionality when typing text. I'm not saying that the current method isn't a good default, but much other functionality would be lost if we extend this type of thing to other keys, whether making the keypad keys perform their normal application functions, or worse, making dedicated arrow keys perform flat review functions. If my understanding of the proposed functionality is as far off the mark as it may be, feel free to correct my misunderstanding, or else ignore the message.
~Kyle
F123 software development