Re: [orca-list] Orca not indicating that a Firefox text entry is writable

Hello,

Sorry for the double posting. I have looked into this one more time.
I have found out, orca can find this element when pressing the edit field quick nav key however it is only presenting its content.
I think this is tricky as this is kind of an editor where you can compose rich formatted message. We need to compare how e.g. gmail, etherpad and other similar apps are doing it. Still I believe this might be more a web authoring issue than an orca issue. And other screen readers may opt to workaround it because it's quite frequent on the web.

Greetings

Peter

Hey Nolan,

The issue where orca is unable to identify Riot.im input area as editable text navigable to via quick nav key in browse mode is partially an orca issue and partially matrix-react-sdk issue I guess.

The riot.im issue is that this is simply a html div with a lot of _javascript_ functionality and the role is set via aria.

Orca is skipping over it, however NVDA can navigate to it via quick nav.

There is a WIP PR which might address this at the riot.im side of things: https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-react-sdk/pull/1561

Also there is an #a11y:matrix.org room for discussing Riot accessibility. There is not much activity currently however it would be nice to talk more about over verbosity of messages time line view, fixing corresponding live region not to be active wich each text change in that part including scrolling and similar.
I am not currently working on it however I am looking for a way on how to make it work. I was thinking about using aria-hidden on the icons entangled within the text and flip the aria-hidden on these when focussing on them via tab / shift + tab. In such a case we would get nice brief experience when reading with browse mode and we might still be able to activate controls not presented to screen reader users by default. However this is clear abuse of ARIA, I think it's against aria best practices and very likelly to be hated by accessibility evangelists. So I would be happy to talk about it to someone who might potentially like to help me to clear up my mind.

I apologize for an off-topic.

Greetings

Peter

Thanks for the report Nolan. I'll add this to my list.
--joanie