Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 09:18:58
From: Didier Spaier <didier slint fr>
To: Peter V?gner <pvdeejay gmail com>
Cc: orca-list <orca-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] speechd-el vs emacspeak.

Hello

Le 21/10/2017 ? 12:01, Peter V?gner a ?crit?:
D?a 21. 10. 2017 12:56 AM pou??vate? "Didier Spaier" <didier slint fr>

Only caveat: for now I had to make an ugly symlink as speechd-el
expects to find the socket of speech-dispatcher in ~/speech-dispatcher
but it is in ~/.cache/speech-didsatcher by default here (and orca
finds it, so I don't want to move it). This noted in README.Slint.

I think, you do need this in order to fix that:
http://git.freebsoft.org/?p=speechd-el.git;a=commit;h=3d729817296b2ed8ad414a6aa044a8aa762259eb
Speechd-el is not in rapid development however its git master branch has a
few little updates like this.
If that is not a problem for you you might consider building your
speechd-el package from git.

In the source I use this patch his already applied.

But I didn't set XDG_RUNTIME_DIR so far.

I had a look at the specification:
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

It says:
cut here
If $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is not set applications should fall back to a
replacement directory with similar capabilities and print a warning
message.
cut here

However as no fallback is proposed, I assume that what I should do
is set XDG_RUNTIME_DIR at login and see what happens.

As I also see in the specification about XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
cut here
The lifetime of the directory MUST be bound to the user being logged in.
It MUST be created when the user first logs in and if the user fully
logs out the directory MUST be removed. If the user logs in more than
once he should get pointed to the same directory, and it is mandatory
that the directory continues to exist from his first login to his last
logout on the system, and not removed in between. Files in the directory
MUST not survive reboot or a full logout/login cycle.
cut here

I have some more work to do to implement that properly. Even more so as
I never did something like that yet (also considering that we ship
neither pam nor systemd).

On the web, I see that some people /run/user/somedir but we don't have
a /run directory. I could just use /tmp/user/somedir or ~/.cache/somedir
as seems to do at-spi (but it doen't remove that after a reboot, which
is annoying).

Well see.

Thanks again.
Greetings,