Re: [orca-list] Orca working on KDE-4.14 or at least some KDE apps, anyone?

How should I search for qt apps I can run outside of kde once qtatspi is installed correctly? I would try something like slapt-get --search qt* and see what might come up but there may be a better way.

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017, Didier Spaier wrote:

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 14:14:50
From: Didier Spaier <didier slint fr>
To: Peter V?gner <pvdeejay gmail com>
Cc: orca-list <orca-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Orca working on KDE-4.14 or at least some KDE apps,
    anyone?

Le 21/10/2017 ? 18:50, Peter V?gner a ?crit?:
I am not yet familiar with slackware packaging however I guess some QT
related environment variables might be mixed somewhere.

I've started recent slint I've installed about two days ago, started LXDE
desktop with orca by running startx.
With no proper packaging I've built qt-at-spi like this:
    git clone git://anongit.kde.org/qtatspi.git
    cd qtatspi
    mkdir -p build
    cd build
    cmake -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ..
    make
    sudo make install

All the QT4 files are placed inside /usr/lib64/qt/ on the installed system
however qt-at-spi got installed into /usr/lib64/qt4/ .
Apparently this seems wrong so I've just moved some files around manually:
mv /usr/lib64/qt4/plugins/accessiblebridge /usr/lib64/qt/plugins/
rm -Rf /usr/lib64/qt4

Now when I launch QT4 apps on LXDE they are accessible.

That was it! moving the bridge into place did the trick

I was about to give up, so Peter you are my hero!

Not sure all apps are accessible, at least lokalize is.

I will package qtatspi and upload the package to night so one will
have just to do this to install it as root:
slapt-get -u
slapt-get -i qtatspi

I'll let you know when it will be done.

I can't check KDE as I am blind and I don't know what I'm doing while I am
not sure it's working as it should.

Being blind doesn't prevent you to be way more knowledgeable and skilled
than me in the computer systems field, congrats!

Oh, and I saw a picture of you with two cute little girls on your blog.
I guess you are a happy dad.

Currently KDE (that I almost never use) is very unresponsive.
I assume that I should let these ugly KDE PIM daemons initialize their database
before testing.

However according to the following article there are no differences to
the environment when compared with other desktops.
Here are the relevant KDE accessibility notes:
https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Accessibility/Screen_Reader_Setup

That's right, I remember having read that.

Greetings,

Didier

Hello,

Le 21/10/2017 ? 12:53, Peter V?gner a ?crit :
The QTACCESSIBILITY environment variable has to be set as per the
enabling
accessibility section in the following QT docs article:
http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/accessible.html
I think you do know this so I'm only posting this because I haven't yet
managed to play with this on your RC image to possibly verify this
my-self.

Yes, our xinitrc.kde ends like this:
cut here
# Start the window manager:
if [ -f ~/.config/startorca ]; then
        # Graphical environment A11y Initialization
        export LOGNAME="GDM"
        export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN="gtk"
        export GTK_MODULES="gail:atk-bridge" # for GTK2
        export GNOME_ACCESSIBILITY=1
        export QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1 # for QT4
        export QT_LINUX_ACCESSIBILITY_ALWAYS_ON=1 # for QT5
        rm -rf .cache/at-spi2-??????
        killall -u $(whoami) speech-dispatcher
        /usr/bin/speech-dispatcher -d
        /usr/bin/orca &
        sleep 0.5
fi
if [ -z "$DESKTOP_SESSION" -a -x /usr/bin/ck-launch-session ]; then
    ck-launch-session startkde
else
    startkde
fi
cut here
Some of these settings are useless so far, e.g. we don't ship gdm,
but shouldn't hurt.

I have also built the examples in the source qtatspi and can
use the GUIs, but no sound.

Greetings,

Didier

D?a 21. 10. 2017 12:27 PM pou??vate? "Didier Spaier" <didier slint fr>
nap?sal:

Hello,

I am on the verge of releasing Slint64-14.2.1, with Orca and several
window managers and desktops, including optionally KDE-4.14.

I failed to get Orca working in KDE and apps, after having installed
the most recent qtatspi. When asked, Frederik Gladhorn answered me that
things improved in Qt5. However, I won't upgrade KDE just for that, and
a web search came empty, so:

@All: If you know of any successful usage of Orca with KDE-4.14 or one
of its applications, please answer!

It can be in any Linux distribution, link to a repo with a corresponding
ISO would be great.

Else, I will just inform users that among WM and DE shipped, KDE is not
accessible.

Greetings,

Didier
gnome-help/stable/a11y.html