Re: [orca-list] Image without empty alt should be ignored by Orca

There is no guidance in the ARIA specification regarding how the alt attribute should be handled as it is not an ARIA attribute.  However, there is significant documentation in the HTML specification:

https://www.w3.org/TR/html51/semantics-embedded-content.html#alt-text

First, it is a validation error not to provide an alt attribute at all, so the behavior to recognize the image and not skip it is desired because browsers don't enforce such validation.  On the other hand, developers are advised in the spec to handle purely decorative images with an empty alt attribute (i.e. alt=""):

https://www.w3.org/TR/html51/semantics-embedded-content.html#a-purely-decorative-image-that-doesnt-add-any-information

So in that case, skipping it altogether would be the desired user behavior.  Arguments about how smart that is aside, that's the spec and the expectation of developers trying to consider accessibility.  Note this is in step with WCAG criterion 1.1.1 and its associated techniques.

Also, the CSS specification has a similar section when talking about the content property for the ::before and ::after pseudo elements, which can have alt text in the form: {content: ... / "alt text"}.