Re: [orca-list] Advice from blind Linux users

While gnome does use more memory than mate, in most cases this is not much, and it is far from a memory hog
in my experience, and according to test data
I've seen on line.
This experience is from older releases of gnome, but far from ancient ones, and as far as I know gnome has
not greatly changed its memory use profile.
Of course ones mileage can vary.
Unity uses much more memory on average than gnome, again acording to a couple independent tests I've read and
my personal experience.
I've never tried cinamun, and last I heard it still needs more work than the other interfaces mentioned.
XFCE is still lioghter than mate, at least for the majority of users, but its panels are not accessible, and
one should change file managerr for decent
usability with speech, and then LXDE is still lighter, but woith the same panel issue.
Bottm line, mate is a bit thriftier with RAM than gnome, and quite a bit more so than unity. Mate uses less
CPU on average than the others, but everything
I say depends on a more or less standard configuration.
You can look up developers suggested minimum  hardware requirments, but remember that we need more memory and
processor to run our accessibility software.
You can't use wine with orca, but self voicing programs can use sapi voices with wine, e.g. some games, stand
alone text reading apps, etc.
Each interface has advangtages and disadvantages depending on user tastes and workinig styhle.
There have been many discussions of these, and I really do not want to start repeating everything that has
already been said here.
Please consider searching this list's archives for info.
There are also ultra lightweight options that require a bit more set up, e.g. fluxbox and ratpoison.
All but unity will run better and faster for most people on a given machjine as compared to win7, and Unity
is comparible.
OK, better is perhaps subjective, but I am mostly referring to responsiveness.
Linux is very good at taking good advantage of memory, so the more RAM you have  the better, at least to a
point.
I'd not recommend unity in general for machines with less than 2GB of RAM, but I did not have problems as
long  as I limited multitasking with 1GB omn a 32
bit machine.
Any of the desktiops will run well with 2 or more cores and 3GB or more of RAM.
Vinux5 lets you try all threee desktops on the same installation out of the box.
It also has good Command line console accessibility. You do need to run one commmand to start it, or it can
be set up to auto start at boot time with
little work.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Jude DaShiell wrote:
Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 09:47:35AM -0400

Unity; gnome, or mate and cinnamon are possibilities depending on the memory
footprint and hard drive space available on a particular machine.
  Mate and cinnamon are good for minimal spaces gnome is a hog in memory and
disk space.  I don't know where unity lands on the spectrum though. More
work for accessibility needs doing to get mint cinnamon accessible.