[orca-list] Advice from blind Linux users

Hello all!

I'm interested in any advice for a blind person switching from Windows 7 and nvda to Linux and orca. I'm interested in all recommendations but especially answers to the following:

Which desktop will work best with orca? My research indicates that unity, gnome and mate are best, while xfce doesn't work so well. Which of these three is most highly recommended for orca?

How can I get the best results out of orca with regards to speech quality? Is it possible for sapi / nuance Daniel to connect to orca via wine? And if so, are there step-by-step instructions anywhere to do this?

Answers to these, or any general advice about Linux for blind users, would be hugely appreciated.

Sam