Re: [orca-list] Antergos the next Arch alternative which works

OK, did not know that someone had built a special chromium  package with chrome vox enabled.
Perhaps it is different now as far a sperformance goes.
Back when I was testing and comparing chrome to chromium I found chrome better on average, but did not
experience the major skipping of lines and other
issues reported by many other chromium users.
As far as I know you are still limited to using speech-dispatcher, i.e. no google tts voices. I prefer using
espeak on my laptop because of low volume and
lack of clarity with the generally better sounding google tts voices, but it has been broken a couple times
over the last few years, and unstable at other
times.
Someone who has consistently tried and tested, and when possible used chromium can speak to whether this
tracks  between chrome and chromium or not
perhaps.
I kept chromium installed on a machine for a couple of years, but it did not work for the last half of that
time, and I've not bothered to mess with it
again other than one quick test that was not accesible, but that was some time ago, can't remember if it was
before or after chrome started working most of
the time with speech-dispatcher again.
I'll take a look at the AUR package and see how it goes I reckon, but wonder if it has an issue that chrome
has had when using speech-dispatcher and
espeak, voice changes on the main system. It stays changed as I recall even after killing chrome, and for
sure did not keep using the desired voice even if
I went in and set it back in orca prefs.
I did not try everything I can imagine to work around that bug, but at best it required a work around, and
likely one could not use the same voice/variiant
with chrome and orca.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Kyle wrote:
Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 02:39:14PM -0500

First off, install chromium-chromevox from the AUR. In Antergos, you should
be able to simply run
yaourt -s chromium-chromevox
Then copy /usr/share/applications/chromium.desktop to
~/.local/share/applications/chromium.desktop. Note that you may need to
create ~/.local/share/applications before copying the file. Once you have a
copy of the file, edit the Exec line so that instead of
Exec=chromium %U
the line shows
Exec=chromium --enable-speech-dispatcher %U
Now you can load Chromium from the overview and it will start speaking.
Sent from my papa