Re: [orca-list] linux full time

orvinux5 which ledts you try three different graphical environments out of the box.
F123 has integrated help files, little tips that it gives the user when they open programs, and has some nice
software installed by default as do most
linux distros.
F123 does lack console screenreader as it comes, but this can be fixed pretty easily.
One thing I will say, yes, you need to be somewhat comfortable with the voice, but I think for many people it
is better to try to use Linux almost if
not completely fulltiime for a few weeks rather than slowlly transitioning. It just depends, some people will
always run back to windows rather than
learning some little trick that is needed in Linux, learning the different keybinding, etc.
Others are better off taking it in in smaller bites, i.e. learning how to do one task, say handling email one
day, and then another day looking at
editors.
Most people find libreoffice nicer with speech than the newer ms office suites with the ribbons, and gedit is
a very nice text eeditor, as is pluma used
by the mate desktop.
Pidgin is probably the best graphical chat program for any platform I know.
It is easier to use than miranda in most cases I find, and much better than most other alternative.
I must say I do like AIM for windows because of its facebook functionality, but other than that I think you
can'[t beat pidgin.
Do not be afraid of the commandline. There are many great and very screenreader friendly commandline
applications around.
I spend a lot of my computing time working with cli aps, and the ability to choose between both cli and gui
software for almost everything I need or
want to do is another plus for Linux.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Alex Midence wrote:
Fri, May 06, 2016 at 12:23:36PM -0500

Give Ubuntu Gnome a try.  It's a very nice distro and its fully accessible.