Re: [orca-list] linux full time

The CLI isn't dead by any means, and it's not just a few folks like us
on the fringes using the CLI.

Note, in case you're not yet aware of it, that there's a great screen
reader for Linux CLI use called Speakup. And, if you have a braille
device, you'll want to get yourself going with brltty. There's also
emacspeak which is -- how shall I say -- it's own ecosystem? Not CLI
exactly, not gui, though very much object oriented.

Apple engineers use their CLI. Windows developers do, too. In fact, the
next release of Windows is coming with a Ubuntu bash built in -- I kid
you not:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-how-to-add-ubuntu-bash-to-the-start-menu/

So, indeed one should at least take the Linux originals for a spin. You
may prefer to stay entirely or mostly in the GUI, or you may drift into
a mix of both like many other folks out there.

Janina

Alex Midence writes:
OK, since I have clearly unwittingly ruffled feathers with last decade comment, I want to explain what I
meant. It simply means what it says. It is an interface common 10 years ago. If you grew up during that
time, you are used to it. If you grew up during this decade, chances are, you will find cumbersome.  Also,
if you are coming from the Newer forms of windows, interfaces such as unity and Gnome will be closer to
what you're used to.  Me, I grew up during the late 80s and early 90s.   That means I find commandline
quite comfortable. Gives me warm fuzzies.  Makes me nostalgic for the days of shell accounts and BBSs. Some
of you may never have even heard of such things. All the rage back then until people started hearing about
this thing called the Internet. Good old CLI!   That would be the interface of three decades ago!

Best in gavel-free regards,
Alex M

Sent from my iPhone