Re: [orca-list] Ot: does anyone have a certification from the Linux foundation?

Hi,
Years ago, I did the Redhat certified engineer exam, and over the years have done a lot of sys admin work on unix and linux servers.
Here are a few comments.
1. Do not expect to be able to work directly on the server with a screen reader, make sure you have a good understanding of all the remote access options available to you. 2. As a blind person, make sure you understand how to do admin without a GUI. In the case of Linux, you can do most things without a GUI and often, it is as simple as editing a configuration file with a text editor.
3.  There are some situations where you will need sighted assistance.
Once, one disk in a raid configuration on a machine with a hardware raid controller, went dead and although I could find some code indicating which disk it was, the only way of knowing which physical drive to take out of the machine was to look at the lights showing up at the server itself. I found that obtaining sighted assistance was easy enough once you are trusted by your superiors to know what you are doing, as then, you do not need a sighted person with knowledge. A secretary can tell you about the lights, or read you an error message just as well as one of your sysadmin buddies.
HTH, Willem