Re: [orca-list] Use Linux as a daily driver

On Wednesday 27 January 2016 05:45 PM, Christopher Chaltain wrote:
Please don't interpret this to mean that the Gmail web interface isn't usable. Some people aren't aware of the accessibility improvements made in the Gmail web interface. Ditto for the standard web interface as opposed to the HTML only interface. I prefer desktop clients myself, but I pull up the Gmail web interface with JAWS or NVDA occasionally, and I'm always surprised how usable it is. I'd expect the same to be true with Orca and Firefox. I'd say give it a try yourself and make up your own mind.

BTW, if someone says they want to use the web interface, I don't tend to question it unless I think they haven't considered other options. It's not my job to judge what people have decided works for them. Just because I prefer a desktop client doesn't mean someone else wouldn't see benefits in a web interface. So many people feel their way of doing things is the only way to do something.

Well, I don't use gmail any more and I used it, the basic html interface was very accessible. I was just curious to know reasons why people would actually not like to use a mail client.
Of course having the need to configure is a very valid reason.
For me personally one big reason for using a web client is that if it is accessible, then I never have a need to say "xyz email service is great but I can't use it due to accessibility issues". Another reason is very personal. I use a laptop full time and carry it along with me to places where there may or may not be Internet.
So I can always have my emails handy.
I can look up some email see an attachment or download it and even reply some mail which I got before I was disconnected.
All this with accessibility.
So that's one reason I get curious, specialy when one is a laptop user as to their reasons for not using email client.
It is not that direct interfaces are bad or some thing.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.