Re: [orca-list] Accessibility of apps

+1.
And let me tell you the reason in many cases for nonacceptance Of free software and accessibility in FOSS is to understate it's importance as well as it's current capability. i don't hack every second and I have not programmed Orca in it's current stage. I Do know Python development and can do a lot for Orca if there is a well made scripting guide. But I Use GNU/Linux exclusively for my personal, professional and social work every minit. I don't feel I am seriously missing any thing by not using a proprietary OS or screen reader.
Yes PDF is a bit of truble and so is presentation.
Some sites may not be that accessible,but again in that context we can't clap with one hand. But Your's Truely has in the past taken modest eferts to see to it that Orca and Gnome are promoted. You can search for the words "true Vision ELCOT" on youtube and there is also the insight project. My Organization, Digital Freedom Foundation is soon to start a project called Digital Drishti (Drishti in Hindi means vision ), where we are setting up a huge dedicated center for giving employment based education to blind using free software exclusively. YOu will be pleasantly SURPRISED To know that Indian Government is funding it and we are almost done with formalities. I have a plan to have both blind and sighted programmers who can work on further improving accessibility and also do Orca scripting.
This will all be well funded and I took 3 years to convince the government.
But this is just a modest work and one must take inspiration from programmers like Joanie and the rest who have dedicated all the time in the world for Orca. And as I said this is a circle where people don't feel Linux is good so no investment of time and money, and no investment of tiem and money means no improvement. Lot of money goes in procuring proprietary screen readers and I know there is also the commission business of the bureaucrats at least in My country so bringing Free software accessibility is a kind of unofficial loss to them. A development leading to promotion and promotion sponning the need for more development is the way to go.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.