Re: [orca-list] Accessibility of apps

Hello,

When it comes to Audacity a few things I have noticed over the years and there is a bit of good news even recently. The big news is that on jan 20 2016 version 2.1.2 has been released. In this version wxwidgets is upgraded from 2.8 to 3.0 which should hopefully address some of the accessibility issues on linux. I have briefly tested this new update and some of the things appear to be addressed and some little ones are introduced. For example radio buttons are now labelled on the selection toolbar. Unfortunatelly it is no longer possible to focus the control holding the length or a selection time value on the selection toolbar. This is a showstopper for me since I was used to having access to this control on windows. The table holding list of tracks is not made accessible magically again on windows this is working. Controls in the preferences dialog don't appear to be correctly labelled although I think it has been taken care of on Windows. You know audacity accessibility hero used to be Dominic Mazzoni before he moved to Google and now there is a clever developer happy to address accessibility related issues Leland Lucius. A few years ago I can remember him discussing accessibility matters at the NVDA email list. Back in the days he was even using NVDA and jaws to compare how well audacity is working with both these. I would say audacity developers are fine with listening and even doing a little on their own if they can address accessibility issues. Shortcomings we are seeing on linux are inherited from wxwidgets and lists, tables treeviews, spinners and other a bit complex controls don't have proper ATK support implemented at its side, so unless audacity guys have to take over wxwidgets or wxgtk or whatever, there is not much magic they are able to do. I would say for a beginner developer making wxgtk more accessible would be a huge task.

Greetings

Peter