Re: [orca-list] orca makes qt5 applications extremely unstable (or maybe at-spi ?)

Hi Tyna.

I just tried using pcmanfm-qt in Fedora 25 (Qt 5.7.0) and am not seeing
any crashes. There seem to be other issues in reporting selection
changes correctly. I'm not sure if that's due to a Qt bug or just a
difference in Qt's accessibility support which Orca is not handling and
will look into that soon. In the meantime, it would be helpful to know
where the segfault is so that it can be filed against Qt (or
pcmanfm-qt). Have you tried running pcmanfm-qt under gdb? Any statement
about the source of the segfault when you launch pcmanfm-qt from within
a terminal?

As for using Accerciser to trigger the crash, it's typically (by which I
mean always) not so simple. <smiles> Accessibility-related crashes
usually occur as the result of something quite specific that the
application or toolkit is not handling correctly. There are a bunch of
accessible interfaces, and within each interface a set of methods for
obtaining information about objects. Any one of those many methods could
be the trigger. And it could also be that it's not always the trigger,
but only the trigger when a specific set of conditions is present. Tools
like Accerciser, or a magnifier that only cares about a focus change or
caret movement, has no need to really dig in for information to present
to the user. Screen readers on the other hand.... <insert shrug here>

--joanie