Re: [orca-list] Maybe I can help develop Orca.

hi

I am no kernel expert by any means whatsoever, but as I understand it, the tty layor is old, rather krufty, and out of date even though it does still work, so they're trying to abstract away how it works. They want systemd to handle the lower level bits while making all apps taht want to use it be in userspace. I am no security expert either, but the idea of a screen reader having to a, both be in the kernel and b, run outside of any user, even root, is just ridiculous. For you apple users, imagine having to run voiceOver as uid0, otherwise known as root to read certain apps or to read any apps at all. This may indeed be what it does I don't know apple very well at all. For you windows users, nvda runs as the user that starts it, with API calls to secure bits of windows which it can only get at if signed by a cert. That's overkill in my opinion but accessibility tools should *always* be run as userspace. Always. The accessibility stack should not let anything through that is sent to it like it currently does. The gnome people know this is a problem but they don't seem to want to change it, saying it's easier this way. At least, this is what I hear. Joanie, is this correct? If I'm going to grumble about something I'd like to get my facts straight lol. This brings me to another thing I've been wondering about for some time. Would it be possible to add to orca the ability to intercept input from things other than keyboards? gamepads, touchscreens, etc so that you could, for example, turn on learn mode and explore them? I'm not saying this should be done immediately or anything, just wondering what would have to happen for this to be possible. I'm thinking at-spi changes, and then orca changes but I am not an expert on the accessibility stack at all. So I don't step in the "gnome settings daemon intercepting keystrokes pie" I'm well aware orca can't circumvent the desktop. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about I managed to really annoy joanie a few months back by asking repeatedly that she fix gnome intercepting keystrokes before orca could see them in learn mode. This happens with special keys like audio mute, audio raise volume, increase brightness, and so on. I asked one too many times and she said quite bluntly that that was not her bug and she couldn't fix it lol. And that's why you don't ask for fixes too many times in a short time frame lol. Totally my fault, I forgot I'd even asked. There's also storm and chrys87's excellent fenrir project, which is a console screen reader written from scratch in python. Once it matures a bit it's going into sonar to replace speakup as the console screen reader.
Thanks
Kendell Clark

Thanks
Kendell Clark