Re: [orca-list] yasr

Just to say, followed instructions and it works right off on Vinux5.
Will try on arch next
It seemed to have a ton of stuff in a buffer though, and would not shut up. I killed it and it kept talking.
How should I get it to just speak what I arrow over or other wise select or focus?
Thanks again for the instructions, and any use tips.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Peter Vágner wrote:
Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:56:37PM +0200

Hello,

Some quick steps describing how I am running YASR on Arch linux.

To clone and build yasr from git...

git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/yasr/git yasr
cd yasr
rm missing
autoreconf -i
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
make

I like the fact yasr is portable thus it is not necessary to install it.
You will get a binary at ./yasr/yasr
Don't run it, prepare your personal config file first.
cp yasr.conf ~/.yasr.conf
And edit the file so yasr will talk to speech-dispatcher.
These lines have to be present and other similar other synth
specific ones have to be commented out:
synthesizer=speech dispatcher
synthesizer port=127.0.0.1:6560
Now start speech-dispatcher if it's not running e.g. by running
spd-say "hello world"
Now run a socat command in background that will listen on the IP /
port you have configured in ~/.yasr.conf and redirect it to the user
specific speechd unix socket (thx Zahary for this tip):
socat -d -d TCP-LISTEN:6560,fork UNIX:/run/user/`id
-u`/speech-dispatcher/speechd.sock &

And you should get yasr talking. Nice thing is that it handles UTF-8
in terminal as it should, it is super responsive and if you are
crazy, you can even run it within gnome terminal or other graphical
terminal emulator.

I know this should be packaged more nicelly and patched to dirrectly
connect to speech-dispatcher. I have only started using it recently
and I don't yet know how to do it, so perhaps I'll try to find a
better way in the future.

We have recently discussed it in slightly more details in the Sonar
GNU linux support list with Kendel if you wish to look it up.

Greetings

Peter