Re: [orca-list] Could you extend the say all function ?

Hi Alex.

On 04/19/2016 09:02 AM, Alex ARNAUD wrote:
On 04/19/2016 01:13 PM, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
1. Why would you want to extend it by word? Unless the answer is item 2.
We want to provide focus tracking of the current read word by a screen
magnifier. The easiest solution seems to provide a say all by word.

The say-all-by unit is the chunk of text sent to speech-dispatcher and,
as a result, is where the pauses wind up. So say all by word will cause
say all to become extremely choppy. I don't think you want that.

Should we wait for 3.22 to begin to work on something like that ?
Is the AT-SPI/ATK provide a simple way to implement the feature ?

That's up to you. The ideal situation is that Orca plays nicely with
other tools, like magnifiers and reading tools which highlight words;
not controls those tools. So if you want to make a stand alone tool,
that would be appropriate and would allow you to proceed. You could even
send what you want spoken to speech-dispatcher (i.e. Orca doesn't need
to be involved). If, having made such a tool, you find that Orca is
doing something that interferes with your tool, then please let me know.

--joanie