Re: [orca-list] Orca at install time on Ubuntu server 15.04?

I am posting instructions tested several times by ppl I trust, but not tested by yours truly.
I have no reason to think this won't work with 14.04, but I do not have a braille devfice and don't keep up
with what is available there.
These instructions require running a few commands with out speech or braille, but just type carefully.
Adapt to the case of the virtual machine.

To manually start the installation of Ubuntu server 12.04 perform the
   following steps:
   1) boot to the Ubuntu Server 12.04 installation CD;
   2) After CD stopped spinning, exit the gui menu by pressing the escape key
   twice and enter key to confirm that you want to
    perform a manual install;
   3) At the boot prompt type:
    install text brltty=auto and press enter;
    (this will start a manual install with braille support)
   The rest of the installation is displayed on your unit,  just follow the typical installation screens.
   Unfortunately after restarting the system there is no Braille support.
    you will need to install brltty
     sudo apt-get -y install brltty and press enter.
    type your password hit enter and waited till your hd goes silent.
    start brltty:
     brltty -b auto -d usb:
    Install alsa
     sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
    run   < alsamixer >   #to un-mute sliders oo below sliders , and 50 or more
   on sliders.
(basically p or left arrow will take you to previous entries in alsamixer, up arrows will raise volume
controls, and once you have speech you get
best
+feedback from speakup with cursoring off for your speakup mode.)
 Install espeakup:
     sudo apt-get install espeakup -y >
    Start speakup:
     modprobe speakup_soft start=1
     sh /etc/init.d/espeakup start
    manually edit /etc/modules to add the line:
     speakup_soft start=1
    to ensure speakup starts after shutdown / restarts.

On most laptops I notice that alsamixer volume levels need to be set well above 50%.
I can barelyl hear speakup with the default levls on the Debian  net-install images on this laptop which can
be pretty loud at highest levels.
If you set PCM and speaker levels to something like 90% then master volume should be plenty loud on most
hardware set to around 75%.
Master is the first slider, so left arrow to be sure yhou are there, and press up arrow a lot. Then down
arrow about 10 times to get down to 75%. Then
right arrow onceand press up arrow a bunch, and repeat thisthree more times, more to be sure. Usually
headphone comes after master, then speaker and
then PCM, and then you get in to other controls, but this varies depending on sound card.
Debian is a good choice for a server distro however, and probably not all that different for most stuff you
will do in class from Ubuntu.

$

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  John Heim wrote:
Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 10:08:12AM -0500

Do you mean that you think the ubuntu server installation disk is probably
inaccessible? Because speakup is now just a set of kernel modules. The
ubuntu kernel developers would have to exclude it deliberately. I have only
virtual machines to check it on but modinfo shows me that the speakup_soft
module is included on my ubuntu 15.04 server. But I didn't do that install.