Re: [orca-list] Government payed assistive technologies (was GUI Redesign or clearup and modernization)

On 09/03/2015 12:31 PM, Victor Lawrence wrote:
Recently I read a post from a blogger who claims that Google, Freedom
Scientific and other big companies are in bed with the American
Council Of The Blind and the National Federation Of The Blind.  In
short, the blogger claimed that these companies bribe these advocacy
groups to promote their products.  These companies show up at the
national conventions and pour lots of money into these organizations
to buy their loyalty when most blind people would really rather use
Apple products or something else.  According to the blogger, at least
Apple doesn't even bother to bribe the ACB or the NFB.

Wow, I'd stop reading this blogger right away. This doesn't jive with my experience at all. I haven't seen these bribes from Google. My experience is that an NFB or ACB convention is a major Apple love fest. If you read the Braille Monitor and the NFB resolutions, you might think Apple had the only accessible cell phone out there. Just spend a few days on an Android list, and you'll get an earful of what some Android users think about the NFB and ACB and their infatuation with Apple. IMHO, I'd have to read this article myself to be sure, but if you're summary is correct, this is a blogger that's more interested in stirring things up than they are in accurately discussing issues.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail