Re: [orca-list] victory! Linux mint to ship orca by default

Hi,

Yes, OK, I agree that choice is good. The more choices the blind have, the better. However, I don't get the point. I'm really dense I guess, but the "victory" escapes me. Why not just install Ubuntu MATE instead? I'm glad to see Orca being shipped by default and I appreciate your efforts in this area, but as you say, Cinnamon still needs work. Yes, it's good to see it shiped with the MATE edition, but for someone doing a new install, I don't see the advantage. In the case of a sighted person having already installed it and a blind person wanting to use it, Orca is only a package installation away, of course assuming the sighted person wants to install the package. Will Orca actually be installed by default? Ubuntu ships thousands of packages, but most of them are not actually installed when the system is installed. If Orca is actually installed as part of the base desktop system, that truly is a victory and I'm very happy to see it.

Cinnamon is already packaged in Debian and Ubuntu for those who want to try it. In my opinion, I would rather see accessibility effort spent on improving Cinnamon since it's widely available in major distributions without installing Mint.

One thing I failed to mention in my last message is I do like their podcast. They seem to be very proactive about getting new users. As discussed here a while ago, there is a serious need for Linux tutorials and podcasts. That need isn't just for the blind, it's for the sighted as well. It's hard to find current (current emphasized) podcasts for the sighted community which are for new users. Ubuntu is very good in this area, but I think Mint is better. That's probably why it's so popular. It's interesting that it apparently doesn't ship Gnome.