Re: [orca-list] New Linux user, needing higher quality speech

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 02:58:37AM AEST, Jonathan Duddington wrote:
On 18 May, Luke Yelavich <luke yelavich canonical com> wrote:

Espeak also doesn't seem to list its variants in its voice list
output, either via Speech Dispatcher or the espeak command-line
utility. So perhaps espeak does need to be extended to make its
variants available via the same way other voices are listed and used.

From the command-line:

espeak --voices=variant

Ok, nice to know.

From the API, call espeak_ListVoices(ESPEAK_VOICE* voice_spec)

with the "language" field of voice_spec set to "variant"

Thats a wonderful pointer, thank you. I think this should be documented in the API header. If I get a chance,
I'll pull the code from vcs and see about submitting a patch.

As it is though, I think we need to extend Speech Dispatcher to properly handle this, however in the meantime
I think I can add something to the espeak driver to allow variants to be listed, based on a config option
that will likely be disabled by default.

Luke