Re: [orca-list] why Skype works in Ubuntu 15.04

hi
Well, on ubuntu, you can do sudo apt-get install qt-at-spi:i386. That
will pull in qt at-spi, which is the thing that makes orca able to
talk to qt4 applications, and all it's dependencies. After that, it's
just a matter of installing skype, and you should be done. On fedora,
you can do sudo dnf install qt-at-spi.i686. After that, install skype
and you're done. On arch, I'm not completely sure, although if you can
download a 32 bit version of qt-at-spi from arch's site, just go to
archlinux.org, click on package search, enter qt-at-spi in the box and
download the 32 bit version, you can extract thae archive into
/usr/lib32/qt4/plugins, and then install skype
Thanks
Kendell clark

Derek Roberts wrote:
So, have any guides been written about compiling the 32-bit version
of the library in a 64-bit system? Yes, they should update the
thing. But for right now, this is what we've got.

Thanks, KJ4UFX

On 5/14/15, kendell clark <coffeekingms gmail com> wrote: hi I kind
of jumped in the middle of this. Does he need to use skype for his
job? I don't think he should use skype. That said, it *is* possible
to get it working. My main objection was that linux shouldn't go
out of it's way to support an application that can't move with the
times, not necessarily that it was owned by microsoft. If ms were
serious about supporting skype on linux, they'd have built it for
64 bit qt, making all this effort to get it working unnecessary.
Then my only objection would be that it's closed source, which
isn't enough of an objection to yell at a person for wanting to use
it. To sum up, I didn't write that email because it's microsoft
skype, but rather because it's a 32 bit qt application, and getting
those talking with orca on a 64 bit system is not trivial. And when
it doesn't work, who gets blamed? Linux. Linux should make it easy,
why doesn't this work, ... etc etc. Thanks Kendell clark