[orca-list] accessible Systems that are not Vinux for the beginner?

Hello,
I am pretty new to Linux (I have played around with Vinux quite a lot), but it is not my main distro and I don't use it a lot.
I am looking into learning more about servers and getting familiar with the Linux environment.
What system would you recommend? Vinux is way out of date and I would like to keep updated as much as possible.
The systems other people recommend are Ubuntu and Debian, but I've seen CentOS also.
I see Sonar is more updated than Vinux, how would it be for my situation? I would be using it at first in a VM, but would hope to move it to a partition if I liked it enough.
Thanks,