Re: [orca-list] accessible Systems that are not Vinux for the beginner?

Hi,

First, to answer your question directly, I recommend Debian testing.  It
gets regular (daily in most cases) updates from unstable but has a delay to
prevent major bugs from entering.  I run it on my desktop and a server and
I've been very happy with it.  The other nice thing is the Debian Installer
comes up talking with software speech if you press "s" when the CD boots.

However, if you're really serious about servers, I would suggest either
Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS or Debian stable.  Yes, they're outdated compared to the
bleeding edge, but that's what you want for a server.  Believe me, I've been
running Linux since 2000 and servers off and on since 2004 and I know what
I'm talking about.  For one thing, it's usually impractical to update your
packages daily on a server.  For another and more importantly, you have to
worry about security.  You really don't want your server cracked because a
package from testing or unstable has a security issue which wasn't fixed.
Debian testing and unstable don't get the same level of security support.  I
would suggest getting a VPS to start (I offer them for sale) so you can
learn and play around without doing any real damage.

I'm assuming you want to use the X environment since you posted on the Orca
list.  I would definitely recommend Debian unstable or Arch in that case.
Debian unstable will have the most current accessibility support since Orca
changes almost weekly.  Make sure to install the desktop environment when
you do the initial system install to get full accessibility.  You probably
don't want to install to a VM because it's not real hardware, so it uses
different drivers, doesn't have a real clock, etc.  You might have problems
moving it to a real system.  If you have an extra partition or machine you
aren't using, that would be better.  I would say about 10 GB is enough to
start.  In most cases, for a server, you probably don't want to install X.

Finally, I offer a $119.95 per year support service.  Currently, it's all
done by email, however I do offer phone support at $15 per hour by
appointment only.  I eventually plan on moving to a web-based ticket system.
 I will be happy to help you set up servers, the console, etc.  The service
is for the beginning to intermediate user of Linux, but I offer basic
Windows and BSD support.  If you mention the Orca list, I can offer you a
discounted price of $99 per year.  All payments are by personal check or
PayPal and are in US Dollars.  Please let me know if you have further
questions and if you're interested.  Thanks.