Re: [orca-list] Partially Solved: Fedora 22 Blues

Very interesting, Peter. Thanks.

I wonder how the decision to prefer running speech-dispatcher on a per
user basis affects these issues. Seems to me it's only complicated
things, and has not contributed to a smooth user experience.

On the other hand, my recent efforts to get speech-dispatcher running
system wide were unsuccessful. Probably something I didn't get right in
the configuration.

Is anyone running init_socket speech-dispatcher successfully? I'd like
to know how you got that to work.

Janina

Peter Vágner writes:
Hello,
I know this is also happening on other systems with other display managers.
However I am now with Arch linux and when the X session is terminated orca,
pulseaudio and speech-dispatcher often keep running. This includes GDM login
window as well as normal X session. So After GDM login screen is dismissed I
can find GDM user still runs these three apps. If I logout from X, GDM login
screen appears, then my user keeps running these three apps.
We were talking about this a while ago at Sonar GNU linux support list and
in cooperation with Kyle we have came up with a dirty trick on how to
temporarily hack around this...

Since that time I do have following content inside
/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default
and also inside
/etc/gdm/PostSession/Default

# Hack around the fact that PulseAudio and speech-dispatcher never die on
their own
pkill -9 orca
pkill -9 speech-dispatch
pulseaudio -k