Re: [orca-list] Important: Web accessibility survey for screen reader users

Their devotion to Windows is due to a series of factors.  Here's my educated guess:

1.  Windows was the first GUI-based software that had a set of viable, production-ready screen readers
consistently for nearly a full decade before anyone else came along with something on another platform.
There was Slimware Window Bridge, Screenpower windows, Jaws and Window Eyes all competing head to head with
each other from about 1995 until about 1998 when W.E and JFW pretty much elbowed everyone else away.
2.  Apple, though it had Outspoken or Outspeak (I forget the name), didn't do as good a job with their screen
reader and it stopped working after a while until they came up with VoiceOver about 8 or 9 years ago.
3.  Around the same time Apple was coming up with Voiceover, there existed two solutions for Linux,
Gnopernicus and Orca.  Not sure what happened to Gnopernicus but Orca took center stage and has done quite
nicely though, for a while there, you had to really know what you were doing to use Linux.  You couldn't just
have any old computer user and sit them down in front of a Linux machine and tell them to start working like
you could and still can for Windows.  Lastly, the accessibility stack hadn't come as far as it has in the
last 2 or 3  years.

Simply put, windows accessibility has been around longer and in use by a group of folks who are leery of
change since they can't be sure they will be as productive as they can be in windows and therefore get very
hesitant to try Linux out.  Where Linux will have the greatest number of users IMHO is where windows is
difficult to get without breaking the law and people are coming to it as their first OS.  With everyone else,
it has a lot of catching up to do.

Alex M