Re: [orca-list] best for kids was Re: Considering Linux but Need Advice

Hi Josh,

In my personal opinion Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is currently the best fit for
a child between 6 and 16. It is in fact what I use on my son's
computer, and thus far it is working out well. As has previously been
mentioned it has an easy learning curve, has good hardware support,
decent accessibility natively, and lots of games and other
applications that your kid will enjoy.

As far as desktop environment goes I wouldn't push Mate. I would allow
your child to choose which one suits him best. That is the advantage
of Linux and while you personally might like Mate your son might enjoy
Gnome, Unity, etc. So try and let him grow into the OS and select the
desktop environment that suits him best.

Cheers!