Re: [orca-list] Considering Linux but Need Advice

Hi Lee,

In terms of accessibility the most accessible mainstream distributions
of Linux are Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and Arch. Although, those aren't
necessarily the only options. Most mainstream distributions have some
degree of accessibility out of the box these days and that list is
merely the most commonly used mainstream distributions in use by blind
and low vision  Linux users.

As far as Vinux goes it is basically a modified version of Ubuntu. It
isn't necessarily more accessible than mainstream versions of Ubuntu.
The primary difference is that it has been reconfigured to come
pre-installed with the most accessible software, and a few
modifications have been made to include the Speakup screen reader for
console access. All of the advantages in Vinux can be done to a stock
mainstream copy of Ubuntu to get equal access. So Vinux is more or
less a customized version of Ubuntu with the access changes by default
rather than having to do the accessibility setup yourself.

As far as Orca master goes that is referring to the development
release of Orca. That is the version currently under development. To
access it you need to download the Orca master source from git,
configure, and compile it. As you are a new Linux user I wouldn't
worry too much about installing new versions of software from source
just yet.

As far as Gnome or Unity the choice is totally your's. There is no
right or wrong answer here. They both are accessible, both usable from
a blind person's point of view, and you can use either one. I
personally like Unity myself and use it as my default desktop
environment, find it a bit easier to use than Gnome, but that does not
mean it is necessarily more accessible or better than Gnome. Merely
what I personally like using.

Cheers!