Re: [orca-list] F123 available for download - easy switch to

According to D. A. H.:
# What about making a talking Mate distro with no display manager?  You
# could have espeakup service start and use a console login.  Once user
#> logs in, she could either type the 'startx' command manually, or it
# could start from a script in user's home directory?  I'd vote for the
# former.  For a live system, user could type 'sonar' as username, with no
# password, perhaps?  if you set 'ctrl+alt+backspace' as the key to kill
# the x server, I think user will be dropped back to a standard console,
# where espeakup can be toggled back on, for another talking login?

This can't be done in F123 for the same reason it can't be done in
Sonar. F123 is geared toward new/non-technical users even more than
Sonar, and we don't want new Sonar or F123 users to get dropped into
what appears to the uninitiated to be worse than the old DOS prompt.
Yes, we know how powerful it is, but a new user doesn't need to be met
with raw power with no idea how to tap it. Worse, Espeakup tends to
speak a bit early, causing the non-technical user to hear very technical
systemd messages and other things that would make them want to use
something else that isn't going to yell at them about starting up
networking and reaching a graphical target. In order to comfortably use
MATE as the default desktop environment in either distro, a working and
talking display manager has to be a requirement.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--
"Kyle? ... She calls her cake, Kyle?"