Re: [orca-list] Orca now has preliminary support for object mode / non-layout mode. Yes. Really.

Hi Joanie, all
On 12/09/14 16:03, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Hey Javier.

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding your specific point:

If you mean the GNOME feature proposal, that has nothing to do with us. The feature-proposal period is to propose and discuss things which impact GNOME as a whole. Adding object mode to Orca is not something I need to get approval for or even propose. Furthermore, if I did propose it to the full GNOME community during this period, it would just be seen as noise. Object mode (like pretty much all other things in Orca) doesn't impact GNOME as a whole, it just impacts Orca users. So we discuss it and make decisions here on the Orca list.
Maybe, but Orca is a piece fundamental in the GNOME desktop, no only for Orca users <smiles> When I say proposal I mean for the next cycle We are going to work on x,y z and isn't that a proposal for the next 3.16 on accessibility? don't understand proposals yet <smiles>

Where things get tricky is when there is a freeze. For instance, if I want to add this GUI option to 3.14 I need to justify it. And when the explanation includes "this is a new feature I just added right before code freeze," the answer is typically "no." As for it being a question of time: The core functionality is already committed. The GUI change will be committed (just to master) in a little while. The need for a command at all, let alone the binding, is still being debated. But if we agree there should be a command that, too, is an easy fix.
Oh my! But I am sure that this feature is going to work perfect, nothing of relativity <lol>.

Before code freeze I plan to do some of the refining based on the feedback. Long way of saying,
while I'm doing this quickly and have sacrificed sleep to accomplish it, we still have plenty of time.
Sleep? I propose sleep feature for the next release if possible!

<smiles> This feature shall be included in GNOME 3.14 and I expect that it shall work relatively well. Question is whether or not I ask for a freeze break for the GUI. (I'm now thinking no for the command, even if we add it.)
Unbind it by default, I don't like the idea to changing profiles only for switching layourt/object browsing...

Take care,
regards,
Javier