Re: [orca-list] Changing the keybindings to be JAWS-like or

I remember my new user days pretty well.  As I've stumbled along the Linux
path, learning the differences between the keystrokes of Orca and JAWS has
not been much of a problem.  Indeed, I find some Orca keystrokes preferable
to their JAWS equivalents, especially where they line up with Speakup keys,
as in reading parts of the screen.

Aside from the non-visual access issues that just about all of us on this
list face, my big problem, as a new and continuing Linux user, has been
getting though documentation for using a program, documentation written in
as much plain language as possible.  There's a lot more than there was when
I started, for which I'm grateful.  (The Arch Linux folks do quite a good
job most of the time, in my view.) You have to know where to find the good
stuff, though, and, to one of John's points,a new Linux user will not.
Beginners' books direct you to the man and info pages, but, as some authors
admit, most of these are downright lousy for understanding how to use a
program well.  I'm not claiming an entitlement here, just noting the fact
that the lack of good stuff that's quick to find will make it easy for new
users to drop GNU/Linux real fast.  (I've stuck with it because I care about
having a text console that really is one and because I care about freedom,
including software freedom.)

Incidentally, I'm not saying that Windows documentation is better.  I don't
know whether it's better or worse.  It's likely, though, that somebody
switching Windows versions will find help more easily than somebody trying
to switch from Windows or something else to Linux, just because at this
point a considerable majority of people use Windows.

For my part, I've had notably more trouble learning the keys on the Windows
8.1 laptop my wife just got, even though it essentially has a desktop
keyboard.  I've had more trouble still trying to figure out an old Thinkpad
with Sonar (I believe) installed on it, to the point where I've given up
until somebody tells me something I can use.  In this context, learning the
Orca keystrokes was a minor matter indeed.

Al