Re: [orca-list] Where are application preferences in GNOME 3.10?

Nolan Darilek <nolan thewordnerd info> wrote:

Unfortunately not. :( I find Settings, but nowhere do I find either
my name or options to log off, just Lock and Power Off.

Under GNOME 3.8, my name appears in the top bar, from which I can indeed move
to the right to access the menu and select the log out option. Unless it's
changed in 3.10, or Fedora have modified it, this should still work. My only
suggestion would be to ask a sighted person who uses Fedora and who can
confirm where the option is.
Also, the desktop is nowhere in the tab order, nor does ctrl-alt-d
pull it up. Is this expected behavior?

Yes. By default under GNOME 3, there is no "desktop" in the traditional sense
of an area of the screen where icons for applications, documents and so forth
reside. As I remember, there's still an option under Nautilus to enable it if
you want to, but it's not what the GNOME 3 designers intend or expect you to
do.

Instead, you're meant to use the dash to hold frequently used applications, or
search for them by typing in the search area. The search facility has been (or
will be?) extended to cover documents, media files and so on.

What I'm really saying here is that GNOME 3 departs fundamentally from the
traditional approach to GUI desktop environment design, and if you aren't
aware of this you'll waste a lot of time looking for the desktop (which
doesn't exist) and failing to find the mechanisms that you're now supposed to
be using instead, for example the dash and the search capabilities.