Re: [orca-list] Feedback for Microsoft [was "Re: favorite linux distros."]

Yes, I aplaud India for several iniciatives and programs I've read about.
There should probably be some mechanism built in to funding that rewards success and colaboration, and avoids
wasting too many resources on redundent
projects. I certainly do not have the exact answers as to what that could all look like, and what ever can be
done will need tweaking and fine tuning
based on experiences with and the results of existing programs.
India is a world leader in some good and interesting ways when it comes to technology. I'm not so sure about
some of the other tech powers  however,
China and the U.S .come to mind...lol
  That being said, even in the states there has been some contribution and buy-in from the gov in to FOS
software.
I do also agree with you that there has been good and important work done of late in the realm of linux
accessibility, but I'm not sure if there's much
going on re the specific areas I mentioned in my last post.
There are certainly bright spots, e.g. a continued committment to providing an accessible product on the part
of gnome, the last major Mate release
that gave the average user another solid accessible GUI desktop alternative,
and of course the game changing improvement to firefox support in Orca that Joani
put so much work in to this summer.
Other promising areas have stalled completely, e.g. XFCE where there's no work at all being done to address
the most important issues for screenreader
users. That being said, I think that magnification options have received a bit of love there of late.
I think that the raspberryPI has also done a lot to raise general interest in Linux and a number of FOS
projects, and this is true among the VI  techy
folks as much as anyone else.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Krishnakant Mane wrote:
Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 01:09:53PM +0530

My take on this is simple.
When there is freedom, it is just the mindset that matters when it comes to
contributing code, documentation, testing or even training.
I am happy to run an organization which does at laest training and testing.
And as far as insentives are concerned, there are a lot at least here in
India, our state governments fund such initiatives with no second thought.
The issue however is that given this digital freedom, people some times tend
to fork and work differently, so the necessary synergy we need to attain
critical mass is not acieved.
However I would still go with some degree of sacrifise, given the advantages
of GNU/Linux over proprietary software.
There is always this potential of growth and I see it has gathered momentum
off late.
Orca seems to be at it's best so far and gnome 3.14 is doing great in
accessibility.
So it is hardly unusable, except some issues we have to grapple with some
times.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.