Re: [orca-list] Feedback for Microsoft [was "Re: favorite linux distros."]

One thing that would help drive more attention from the American front in the way of grants and other funding
is a stronger focus on improving accessibility with a goal to assist with using Linux in a gainful employment
setting.   There are a few aplicaitons with are in use in enterprise environments that might do with some
touching up.  Charitable and philanthropic organizations might be interested in funding their a11y
development.  I am referring to such applications as Impress, Evolution and Evince to give some examples.
They address situations encountered in an office environment.

Impress lets you create presentations without the need to learn any markup.  It also lets you show material
created in other industry standard packages like Powerpoint.  Evolution works well with stuff like Microsoft
exchange and other groupware packages which are not uncommon in the enterprise and, unlike thunderbird, is
still under active development.  Thunderbird isn't comparable to Outlook in its set of features without going
out and hunting down a bunch of plugins.  It doesn't even come with a built-in calendar, something
indispensable in a business setting.  Evince has come a long way but still needs work to come up to the level
of accessibility of pdf documents found in Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader.  This is a worldwide industry
standard in document format which is in wide use in many organizations.

These are just three areas in which I think accessibility could use some advancement in Linux.  There are
lots more, I'm sure.  The KDE desktop could use lots of TLC, for instance.  It's fairly popular as a desktop
in use in corporations that use Linux.  All of this requires lots of work, man hours and probably a ton of
money to bring about.  It's a pity there isn't an organization out there, not affiliated with any particular
distribution or desktop but, rather, exclusively dedicated to the furtherance of accessible access to Linux
for blind and VI users.  This organization could be involved in fund raising and coordinating these issues.

Just my two cents.

Alex M