Re: [orca-list] Some questions

Thanks Henry! I didn't know about the xdesktop branch of Orca.

I have several Linux installations and some of them are GNOME 2 based;
so I installed latest xdesktop branch of Orca (3.2.0-xdesktop). Since
I compiled it, I can modify .po files where translations are located
(what I was talking about: "Screen reader off."). It seems like this
is the only way to go, because after .po files are compiled, .mo files
are generated and I haven't figured out how to edit .mo files or if
it's even possible; and Orca's dictionary seems not to work when I use
phrases (several words to be replaced).

Furthermore, I believe the two ways pronunciation issue is related to
Speech Dispatcher, because if I use espeak-synthesis-driver (GNOME
Speech Services) under gnome 2 it doesn't happen and if I use Speech
Dispatcher it does. That's one of the reasons I like GNOME Speech
Services more than Speech Dispatcher, because I think it provides a
more consistent reading; especially when I'm programming, where Speech
Dispatcher is annoying! :). The only disadvantage I've encountered to
GNOME Speech Services is it's very slow to read uppercase letters.

PS. I've noticed when using Speech Dispatcher symbols are read
according to Orca's symbol names (according to .po/.mo files) only
when they are read character by character; and on a different way
otherwise. I could help to track this issue to find where is the
problem.

Yes, I've edited that string.
We need to try and improve the over all tone/accent of espeak for Spanish. I
like eSpeak a lot in English, but have
resorted to voxinwhen I need to listen to a lot of spanish.
I'd even use svox-pico but it was very unstable on Vinux for me, and I could
not even get it to work at all on Arch as I
recall.
If the distro you want has mate 1.8 available, then latest orca will work
nicely with it.
You'll need to check dependencies, and at-spi packages for sure will need to
be up to date, as well as python ones.
Suerte,
--
B.H.