Re: [orca-list] Lag when loading large lists of files

I use pcmanfm with xfce as well on arch, as well as unity on Vinux.
Not having the extra dropbox functionality with nautilus is one of the few reasons I ever use nautilus on
Ubuntu and Vinux, but haven't bothered with it on xfce.
You can for example limit what information is shown for files, i.e. permissions, file size last modified date
and such to the bare minimum to improve nautilus performance a bit, and don't use the side pane or what ever
they call that, but nautilus is still a dog when it comes to large directories and I really don't know if
this can or will ever be fixed. Caja, the mate filemanager based on nautilus is a tad faster it seems,maybe
more than a tad, but is still not fast enough for me according to a few days of testing of mate and a few
caja uses. PCmanfm is for sure my goto filemanager.
Another interesting option with somewhat confusing accesability at times is midnight commander, mc which is
basically a CLI filemanager, but does put a launcher in to Gui aps menus.
I like MC to a point, but it takes a bit of time to fully configure to get the most out of it, and if in the
CLI I mostly just use standard shell commands.
HTH,
--
Burt