[orca-list] Lag when loading large lists of files

Hello all,

Whenever opening a directory that contains a large list of files in Nautilus, Orca freezes for a short time before it speaks again. It is as though loading the list is freezing it. I remember this behavior a long time ago but was hoping that it would have been resolved by now. What's the reason behind this lag?

Also, is there a way to set up first letter navigation so that, when I press the first letter of a directory or file, it jumps to it instead of to the search box?

Thanks,
Robert