Re: [orca-list] updating espeak

According to Josh Kennedy:
# is there a way to change espeak variants like setting the default so
# that orca uses klatt4 rather than the variant it speaks with by default?

Orca uses speech-dispatcher to interface with eSpeak. It would seem that
if speech-dispatcher has any support for eSpeak voice variants at all,
it is rather minimal at this time. The espeak-generic module does still
exist, and something like -v en-us+klatt4 could be added to eSpeak's
command line in modules/espeak-generic.conf in your speech-dispatcher
directory, but this would also require adding the espeak-generic module
and commenting out the espeak module in speechd.conf. It would be
helpful for speech-dispatcher's espeak module to recognize variants and
voices the way the festival module does. I'm not sure whether or not
this would be possible though, seeing as how eSpeak and Festival are
entirely different speech synthesis engines with entirely different
voice structures and API's.

Wow! I've heard that klatt4 voice somewhere. It almost sounds like an
Accent with better inflection lol. That's actually one of the better
eSpeak US english variants. I tend to use the British English voice
here, because the default US english sounds a bit strange, but although
klatt4 sounds a bit more robotic than the default, pronunciation somehow
seems quite a bit better.
--
"Kyle? ... She calls her cake, Kyle?"