Re: [orca-list] Update on Orca problems

I must say I still benefit from having the Nautilus desktop activated,
even in GNOME 3.10. Although simply having home and trash in a very
easily accessible place is helpful, even more beneficial are the icons
that appear on the desktop when I insert a removable disk such as a
thumb drive or CD/DVD. The desktop also is a very convenient place to
store shortcuts to folders that I use on a regular basis. What in the
world is all that space doing there if we aren't going to use it for
something? <smiles> I do enjoy having the launcher, dash and all the
other good stuff that comes with GNOME 3.x, I just like having another
convenient place to put things and to access my removable devices.
Apparently, I'm not the only one who feels this way, as Sabayon and
Manjaro both enable the desktop by default, and I believe one or two of
the most popular distros enable it as well.

Having said all this, I can confirm that if no window has focus, Orca
functions don't work. For those who choose not to have the Nautilus
desktop enabled, this can be viewed as unexpected behavior, especially
since Orca gives no indication that nothing has focus, or that its own
functions, i.e. preferences and learn mode, will do nothing until a
window has focus. I also see similar problems when running qt4
applications, as although Orca gets information from qt-at-spi, it
apparently isn't recognising that a window has focus, so none of its
functions work currently. Ideally, most Orca functions should work
whether a window has focus or not. The most important functions are
things like learn mode, Orca Preferences, time and date functions and of
course, where am I should be able to give an indication that nothing is
focused. Just some thoughts, I hope they are helpful.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/