[orca-list] Ubuntu not translated, orca sometimes silent

Hello all,

I have reinstalled Ubuntu 13.10. The problem is that I was not able to
set portuguese language.

At system settings, I found the option Language Support. A list was
presented to user. As portuguese was not between the default
languages, I pressed the install button.

After some processing, I found brazilian portuguese as the last item
of the list.

If I correctly understood, first of all, I need to drag and drop
portuguese to be the first item.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do it with Orca. I did several
attempts, but english follows as the first language.

I found the button "apply to the system", but anything occurs.

I suspect the problem is that, during the instalation, I defined sda6
as my home. As a result, lots of configuration files was preserved.
This is of course a hypothesis. Perhaps it's not make sense if we
regard portuguese was selected in the old system.

Now I don't know what to do. The packages language-pt and
language-gnome-pt was installed. The problem is not to install
language packages, but to define portuguese as the default language.

And why I had to reinstall the system? Orca was unbelievably improved.
But in rare cases, it keeps silent and I can't enable it again.

The problem seems not to be with Orca, but the system volume. If I
knew how to restablish the volume with terminal commands, I am sure I
will how to avoid the continuing reinstalations.

But now, I ask: what do you suggest to translate my system to
portuguese? language-pt and language-gnome-pt were installed. The
"apply to the system" button seems not to produce any effect.

Regards,

--
Luciano de Souza